I'll be starting a new blog series with tips and ideas to help you get in your best shape ever this year! Many people start off strong in the New Year with an ambitious fitness and healthy eating regimen, but soon after...the enthusiasm fades and it becomes less and less of a priority. If you need help getting and staying in shape...I'm here to help you in anyway I can. I'm not a personal trainer, or a healthy eating expert, nor do I have a diet or body that is anywhere near perfect. I'm a mom. I make my family my number one priority. I work full time. I have SO MANY chores everyday like every other wife and mom. But I try. I try really hard to make good habits everyday habits. And fitness isn't my top priority, but it's still a priority. I make time for it because I make time for everything else and there's no excuse not to. There's no better lifestyle than a healthy one, and it's never too late for anyone to get on the right track. Today I have 8 of my secrets to making fitness and health a part of my everyday routine.
1. Revamp your fridge and pantry- At the beginning of your fitness journey de-junk your fridge. Take a trip to the grocery store and use this rule as a guide. Shop the perimeter of the grocery store. That's where the healthy stuff is. The middle is basically full of over processed JUNK. The outermost edge is where you will find all of your fresh fruits and veggies, meats, and dairy. Here are a few of my essentials:
Organic Section- Cinnamon Raisin Ezekiel Bread, Almond Milk, Rice Cakes, PB2
Fruits and Veggies- Asparagus, Green Peppers, Mushrooms, Tomatoes, Sweet Potatoes, Onions, Pineapples, Apples, Pears, Bananas, Strawberries and Blueberries
Meat- Chicken Breasts, Buffalo Burger, Turkey Burger
Dairy- 2% Milk, Plain Greek Yogurt, Cottage Cheese, Egg Whites
2. Change your drinking habits- With the exception of the occasional cup of coffee or milk. Drink WATER and only water. If you don't like bottled water, buy yourself an awesome water bottle and fill that bad boy up to the top everyday over and over again. Changing over from sugary juices and sodas is one of the best moves you can make to start your fitness journey off right.
3. Prepare your meals ahead of time- The worst idea anyone has ever had is to wait until you are hungry to make choices about what you are going to eat. Buy some cute little Tupperware containers and pack them with lean protein, veggies, fruit and healthy snacks. It's a fool proof healthy eating plan.
4. Join a gym- If you have the money and you really like the gym you have found, join for an entire year. Usually you can get a great discount if you join for a full year. And on top of that if you do a month to month thing and you run out of steam after the first month you have nothing to lose. If you run out of steam after the first month and you've already joined the gym for a year you will be motivated to go anyway because you've already dropped the money for the entire year so you might as well get your moneys worth. Am I right? Or am I right?
4. Buy some cute workout clothes- It may seem superficial, but it's so true for me. If I look sloppy, I feel sloppy. And who is motivated to workout if you feel sloppy? Not this girl. And it isn't for attention either. I workout in my parent's awesome home gym, therefore I workout by my lonesome. It's just me and the mirrors. And I STILL feel like a get a better workout in if I'm wearing cute clothes. Try it, seriously!
I'm a huge huge fan of VS and Aerie yoga pants. They also come in long...which is a big win for tall girls like me! And during ab workouts I always wear crop tops or sports bras for motivation.
This is my favorite workout look. Yoga pants and a comfy lightweight t-shirt! Both are from Aerie!
6. Workout even if you don't feel like it- With the exception of being sick, don't let fatigue get in your way. I can't tell you the number of times I have made myself go to the gym even when it's the last thing I felt like doing. By the end of my workout I have so much energy that I go home and tackle 10x more chores than I normally would. I have never ever regretted a workout, even if I started it off feeling crappy. And you won't either.
7. Set attainable goals- If you've never worked out before, ease yourself into it. Don't kill yourself to the point where working out is something you dread. Make it something you love and look forward to and it will become less of a chore and more of an escape.
8. Don't beat yourself up- If you have a bad week, you backslide, your eating habits fall off of the wagon, and you aren't on top of your fitness game...don't give up. Everyone has off days every now and then. Push through those and use them to motivate you. Get your butt back in the gym and get back on track.
Recipes and more tips to come! Grab 2014 by the reins and make it your year! :)