Friday, April 5, 2013

Peanut Butter Chocolate Protein Bites


Last night was an odd one at my house.  Devin was on night shift, and Kollyns was asleep by 8pm and I was just sitting there wondering what in the world to do with myself.  I had chicken in the oven baking for Devin's lunch the next day, and I really had the urge to create something.  But it's about time for me to lay off the butter, for one day anyway, and make something that didn't include a Betty Crocker cake mix and a hundred grams of sugar. And preferably something that I wouldn't need to bake since my oven was already occupied.  (Note to self:  I need a double oven when I build a home so I can bake supper and dessert at the same time.  That would be just heavenly.)  So I started snooping through my kitchen and pulling out some healthy ingredients.  I have seen recipes before for healthy peanut butter balls but they included all kinds of fancy ingredients that I don't have hanging out in my cabinets like chia seeds, flaxseed oil, sunflower seeds, dates, and things like that!  What I do have though is a massive container of chocolate protein, cocoa powder, a neverending supply of Quaker oats, basic spices, and several jars of peanut butter (my FAVORITE snack).  I pulled out a pen, a piece of paper, and a measuring cup so I could record my masterpiece.  I kind of used my judgement when adding ingredients but I needed to measure them so I could write out a recipe that everyone could work with!  So they turned out perfectly the first time, and that's kind of a miracle.  Experimenting rarely works out in my favor.  They aren't pretty, but they taste like a no-bake chocolate cookie...so who cares what they look like?  Well, except for Kollyns.  I was eating a few for breakfast and she said "Ew mommy, meatballs."  I didn't even know she knew what a meatball was.  But kids are refreshingly honest...and she's right about this one.  So here's the recipe for my 'meatball looking' but very delicious Peanut Butter Chocolate Protein Bites!  Enjoy!

You Will Need:

2 Cups Old Fashioned Oats
1 1/2 Scoops of Chocolate Protein Powder
1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1 Pinch of Salt (Like a teeny tiny pinch)
2 Teaspoons of Cocoa Powder
1 1/2 Cups of Peanut Butter
1/4 Cup of Honey

Pour all dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl (Oats, Protein Powder, Cinnamon, Salt, Cocoa Powder).  Melt peanut butter in microwave for about 30 seconds.  Add in melted peanut butter and honey and mix well.  Place wax paper on a baking sheet, roll mixture into golf ball sized balls or smaller and place on sheet.  Refrigerate for 30 minutes and eat up! 

Recipe yields about 20-25 Bites. 

These are addictive, and pretty much guilt free snacking.  So I ate about 10. 

Once they were all firm, I put them into a sealed container and they are still in the fridge, ready for when my sweet tooth attacks! 

PS If you like for your food to be pretty, you can always crush up some almonds and roll the bites in them so they will be more visually appealing.  ;)

Enjoy!

No comments: