Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Get Fit 2014


I'll be starting a new blog series with tips and ideas to help you get in your best shape ever this year!  Many people start off strong in the New Year with an ambitious fitness and healthy eating regimen, but soon after...the enthusiasm fades and it becomes less and less of a priority.  If you need help getting and staying in shape...I'm here to help you in anyway I can.  I'm not a personal trainer, or a healthy eating expert, nor do I have a diet or body that is anywhere near perfect.  I'm a mom.  I make my family my number one priority.  I work full time.  I have SO MANY chores everyday like every other wife and mom.  But I try.  I try really hard to make good habits everyday habits.  And fitness isn't my top priority, but it's still a priority.  I make time for it because I make time for everything else and there's no excuse not to.  There's no better lifestyle than a healthy one, and it's never too late for anyone to get on the right track.  Today I have 8 of my secrets to making fitness and health a part of my everyday routine.

1.  Revamp your fridge and pantry-  At the beginning of your fitness journey de-junk your fridge.  Take a trip to the grocery store and use this rule as a guide.  Shop the perimeter of the grocery store.  That's where the healthy stuff is.  The middle is basically full of over processed JUNK.   The outermost edge is where you will find all of your fresh fruits and veggies, meats, and dairy.  Here are a few of my essentials:

Organic Section- Cinnamon Raisin Ezekiel Bread, Almond Milk, Rice Cakes, PB2

Fruits and Veggies-  Asparagus, Green Peppers, Mushrooms, Tomatoes, Sweet Potatoes, Onions, Pineapples, Apples, Pears, Bananas, Strawberries and Blueberries

Meat-  Chicken Breasts, Buffalo Burger, Turkey Burger

Dairy-  2% Milk, Plain Greek Yogurt, Cottage Cheese, Egg Whites

2.   Change your drinking habits- With the exception of the occasional cup of coffee or milk.  Drink WATER and only water.  If you don't like bottled water, buy yourself an awesome water bottle and fill that bad boy up to the top everyday over and over again.  Changing over from sugary juices and sodas is one of the best moves you can make to start your fitness journey off right. 

3.  Prepare your meals ahead of time-  The worst idea anyone has ever had is to wait until you are hungry to make choices about what you are going to eat.  Buy some cute little Tupperware containers and pack them with lean protein, veggies, fruit and healthy snacks.  It's a fool proof healthy eating plan.

4.  Join a gym-  If you have the money and you really like the gym you have found, join for an entire year.  Usually you can get a great discount if you join for a full year.  And on top of that if you do a month to month thing and you run out of steam after the first month you have nothing to lose.  If you run out of steam after the first month and you've already joined the gym for a year you will be motivated to go anyway because you've already dropped the money for the entire year so you might as well get your moneys worth. Am I right?  Or am I right? 

4.  Buy some cute workout clothes-  It may seem superficial, but it's so true for me. If I look sloppy, I feel sloppy.  And who is motivated to workout if you feel sloppy?  Not this girl.  And it isn't for attention either.  I workout in my parent's awesome home gym, therefore I workout by my lonesome.  It's just me and the mirrors.  And I STILL feel like a get a better workout in if I'm wearing cute clothes.  Try it, seriously!  

I'm a huge huge fan of VS and Aerie yoga pants. They also come in long...which is a big win for tall girls like me! And during ab workouts I always wear crop tops or sports bras for motivation. 

This is my favorite workout look.  Yoga pants and a comfy lightweight t-shirt!  Both are from Aerie!
 
5.  Eliminate excuses- Figure out a time of day that works best for you and schedule it as your gym time.  Arrange baby sitters for your kids. Pack your gym clothes ahead of time.  I always find that if I have to go home to get gym clothes, I find a million other things in the house I should be doing besides working out and I end up skipping that day.  Buy a cute workout bag and stuff that thing full of gym necessities. Choose a gym that is convenient so you can avoid the "it's too far away" excuse.  Even better if it's right on your way to or from work. 

6.  Workout even if you don't feel like it-  With the exception of being sick, don't let fatigue get in your way.  I can't tell you the number of times I have made myself go to the gym even when it's the last thing I felt like doing.  By the end of my workout I have so much energy that I go home and tackle 10x more chores than I normally would.  I have never ever regretted a workout, even if I started it off feeling crappy.  And you won't either.

7. Set attainable goals-  If you've never worked out before, ease yourself into it.  Don't kill yourself to the point where working out is something you dread.  Make it something you love and look forward to and it will become less of a chore and more of an escape.

8.  Don't beat yourself up-  If you have a bad week, you backslide, your eating habits fall off of the wagon, and you aren't on top of your fitness game...don't give up.  Everyone has off days every now and then.  Push through those and use them to motivate you.  Get your butt back in the gym and get back on track.

Recipes and more tips to come!  Grab 2014 by the reins and make it your year! :)

3 comments:

Amy Kruszec said...

I am so glad you decided to post about fitness! I used to follow a healthy eating routine and worked out 6 days a week until I found out I was pregnant and had to be put on bedrest...for the entire pregnancy:( Not only that, but I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid. The beginning of my pregnancy I was considered under weight but the last 2 months of it I gained 60 pounds...60 pounds:/ Fast forward 4yrs (my little one will be 4 in February) and I am still about 50 pounds heavier than I need to be. I have battled with my body so much and it was devastating to go from toned and lean to overweight and super tired all the time. I have never been over weight so I have felt like I don't know where to begin or maybe I am just over thinking it as I know it will be a slow journey. So I focused on baby and try to eat healthy but fail miserably. My pregnancy was beautiful but full of surprises as I am also lactose intolerant so scratch the greek yogurt or cottage cheese that I used to eat. Do you use any protein powder to make shakes or do you use the greek yogurt for that? I have worked out at your parents gym a long time ago with kevin and remember seeing you in there, I was in shape-ish but you and your family are so fit and gorgeous so any more tips you have on a healthy lifestyle would be awesome! I love you blog!

Kelsey Almond said...

Wow Amy thank you so much, you are a sweetheart! I'm so sorry that you have had to go through that even though I know your precious kiddo was well worth it. You are right, it will be a slow journey, especially if you do it the right way by avoiding fad diets and unhealthy weight loss options...but I know you can do it. The only way to get there is to start somewhere! If you have worked out before, you are no stranger to the gym so that is a great start! I do use Syntha 6 Protein Powder to make my shakes, but you have to be careful with protein powders if you are lactose intolerant because a lot of them are made with whey and casein which are made from milk proteins. You can always choose a soy protein powder, but I'm not sure how well they taste! I actually use Almond Breeze almond milk for most of my protein shakes and that is lactose and gluten free, so you could mix that with fruit and soy protein! There's also a protein available called GNC Pro Performance 100% Egg Protein that might work for you also! But if it were me, I would use egg whites and lean protein such as chicken and turkey burger as my protein sources...and use shakes in place of snacks and sweets. You can mix almond milk with ice and all kinds of fruits and make delicious shakes! :) I'll post more fitness tips and some healthy recipes along the way! Thank you so much for reading Amy! There's no better time to start than today and I know you can do it! Let me know if I can help in anyway!!! Happy New Year!

Amy Kruszec said...

Thank you Kelsey for the encouragement and tips!