Thursday, January 16, 2014

For My Daughter

 
My daughter is my sunshine.  My pride and joy.  I find peace in her embrace, and comfort in her kisses.  She fills my heart with so many wonderful emotions and makes me the happiest person in the world.    She is my first child, and maybe my only depending on God's plan for my life...which is why I want to get mothering right the first time.  Today I sat and thought about just how deeply my influence will affect her little life, spirit and soul.  I want to give back to her what she has given me.  I want to be her inspiration, her confidant and I want her to find her home in my heart...no matter where life takes her.  I'm learning as I go, and praying I will always give her the best of me.  I don't want any choices that I make to hinder her becoming who she is meant to be.  So I vow to be the best, most loving and encouraging mother I can be.  I vow to let her live life and discover things for herself, all the while guiding her and pointing her in the right direction. 

I will...

Let her pretend-  I will let her dig in my makeup bag and spread eye shadow from her nose to her chin.  I will paint her nails and then not say a word when she digs them into the dirt or smears the polish all over her fingers.  I will teach her to take care of her appearance, while letting her know that enjoying life and having fun are far more important than what she looks like.  I will let her pretend to be me, then let her be herself.

Get messy with her-  She can help me bake cakes and sling batter and flour all over the kitchen, we can jump in puddles and splash mud from our head to our toes, or finger paint her playroom table.  Sure, I'd much rather avoid the mess altogether.  But messes make memories that last, and ones she probably won't forget.

Let her make mistakes-  I won't stop her from dropping an armful of toys in the floor because she tried to pick up too many, or from spilling her drink on herself because she was too impatient to wait for me to put the lid on.  Or dating the wrong boy, or finding the right boy too early.  I will always remember that I have been there, and learned from every wrong thing I have done.  And I will let her do the same.

Be there-  I will be there for every recital, game, graduation, and big moment in her life.  But I will also be present in the small moments.  While the big moments are great, they are few and far between.  She needs my smile and encouragement every day, not just when great things are happening.  I will always be her safe place, her home and she will know that this heart, the one that is so full of pride and joy for her... isn't going anywhere.

Love her father-    I will show her how to love and respect a good man.  For someday she will find one of her own and the love between her mommy and daddy will be the example she follows.

Teach her how to love-  I will cover her in kisses and sweet hugs, I will love her with everything that I have.  I will love her father and our family passionately.  I will express my love without reservation and teach her to do the same.

Teach her how to respect and be respected-  She will learn by witnessing my kindness to others.  I will teach her that everyone and everything has value, and should be respected.  She will learn when to use her words in her defense and when to be silent since both are equally powerful.  I will teach her to be the better person in every situation, even when it isn't easy because dignity and good heartedness will go a long way.

Believe in her-  Sometimes she might feel too small and she might just need me to believe in her enough for both of us.  I will do that.  From the first day of school to her first job interview, she will know that I have confidence in her and I will be standing right beside her in spirit no matter what challenges come her way.

Comfort her-  On her saddest days, my arms will be wide open.  From boo boo's to broken hearts, she can always run to me.  My love for her will be so strong in those moments that it will pull her through the worst of times.  I will be her strength during the times when she can't find her own.

Tell her she's beautiful-  Every girl wants to hear that they are beautiful.  And there is no one in this world that will ever find her more beautiful than I do.  I loved her before I even saw her, when she was inside of me and I could only feel her.  I will tell her she is beautiful when she is mismatched from head to toe because she just dressed herself. I will tell her there is no one prettier when she is covered in mud from playing in the river.  I will tell her she is the most beautiful woman I have ever seen on her wedding day.  And I will mean it.

Teach her self-worth-  I will teach her that beauty isn't just what we can see and that real beauty comes from within.  Real beauty came when Christ breathed life into us and created us all to be unique and different in our own perfect way.  I will teach her that there could never be a more beautiful 'her', because she is the only one of her that God made.  She will know that she doesn't need validation from anyone because she is a masterpiece, and there is no one else on Earth like her.

Pray for her-  I will pray for her as much as I breathe.  I will pray for her to make good choices, and learn from the bad ones.  I will pray for her to grow in wisdom and have a heart for Christ.  I will pray for her to be the best she can be, and to be a light in this dark world.  I will pray for her to be blessed with as much joy and happiness as she has brought into my life, because it is simply immeasurable.

[Photo Credit:  Crystal George Studios]

2 comments:

Hillary Quinn said...

Hi there! I stumbled upon your blog and just love it! This was seriously the most precious post. I'm now following along :)
xoxo
Hillary
www.hillarysgrace.blogspot.com

Kelsey Almond said...

Aww thank you so much! :)