Friday, February 28, 2014

Five on Friday: Long Hair Don't Care


Just kidding with that title.  If you want long, healthy hair...you better care girl.  Today will be the start of a little thing I'm calling Five on Friday.  Every Friday I'll post 5 secrets, 5 favorites, 5 something.   I can't promise that you'll find it helpful or even interesting.  But I realize all I really blog in detail about is Kollyns (which is my favorite thing in the world to talk about by the way) and sometimes fitness and food, and maybe just maybe but probably not some of you might want to know a little bit more about me.   So this is my attempt at helping you get to know me better through seeing some of the things that I do.  I hope I don't disappoint, but based on my track record...it's very possible, so do yourself a favor and don't set your hopes too high.

I get asked so many times how I grew my hair out so long and how I keep it healthy.  I usually respond with "get pregnant, it does wonders for your hair."  And that is true in my case, but there are a few more things I have done to make and keep it the way it is...things that I don't share with just anyone.  Lucky you. ;)

Let's keep this short & sweet shall we?

1.  De-junk your hair.  If your hair is colored, chemically treated, anything...let it grow all the way out of your hair.  I used to have blonde hair.  Yep, this is 16 year old me. I had my hair highlighted every six weeks because my natural color is dark brown and roots don't lie
After about 6 years of giving my hair a chemical beat down and watching it slowly break off piece by piece, I decided to go back to my natural hair color so my untreated hair could grow out completely.

This is my husband and I at 19, and the shortest my hair has ever been because I had to trim off all of the damaged hair.

I enjoyed the pretty blonde hair while it lasted but look, just look ^ at what it did to my hair.  Not worth it.  Now I get my hair colored only ONCE a year with semi-permanent color just to keep it from looking frumpy.

So again, step one is get the chemical crap OUT and/or stop overloading your hair with chemical processes.  If you have completely chemical free hair, you are way ahead of the game.  Congratulations! :)

2.  Wash hair with a paraben-free shampoo/conditioner.  I can't say that I'm anti-paraben, even though parabens have had a bad rep for quite sometime now.  But I do know that I've noticed a difference in my hair since I switched over to paraben free hair products.  My favorite is Herbal Essences Naked Shine CollectionAnd it smells amazing.

3.  Go easy on your wet hair.  Wet hair is so much more prone to breakage.  I know you're tempted to wrap your hair up twisty tight in a towel after you wash it (because I am too, every.single.time), but don't.  Squeeze the excess water out with your hands and use a wide tooth comb for detangling.  Save the paddle brush for your dry hair because as it's busting through those tangles, it's also damaging your hair.

4.  Steer Clear of the heat if you can help it.   I wash my hair at night most of the time and sleep on it damp.  When I wake up, it's dry and I avoid the heat blast from the dryer.  I have a straightener with adjustable heat settings, and I turn the heat down as low as I can, and only straighten the parts of my hair that actually need it.  I used to have 'hair straightener OCD' and thought I needed to straighten every inch of my hair for it to be "done".  Not anymore, no just no. 

5.  Deep condition once a week.  I apply coconut oil from mid-shaft to ends and leave it on for 1 hour and rinse.  If you have really dry hair, you can probably do this from root to tip.  My hair is super oily so it will grab the oil at the roots and keep it there for daysss, so I can't go there. 

That's it...that's all I do for my hair and it stays decent and manageable! 

I hope a few of these work for you and your hair!  Happy Friday y'all!

Here's another hair pic, but I mainly posted this because just look at this little angel at 8 months!  My doll baby.  


4 comments:

Emily said...

These are great! I had no clue about it being more brittle when it was wet. That is vurry vurry interesting. I had my hair dyed like a caramel blonde for about 9 months-ish and I couldn't believe how hard on my hair it was. I was so sad. So I let it grow out, and out, and out & then I chopped it. I'm still trying to get it back to where it was. Stupid chemicals fking with my hurr. And stupid me for doing it. #girlprobz

Kelsey Almond said...

Girlll I know. Bleach on the hair is the worst! I had bangs as a result of breakage and I did NOT want bangs. My mom has been doing hair for almost 30 years so she gives me these fab tips. So happy you like this girlfranddd. ;)

Melissa Marter said...

Hi Kelsey, I happened to find your blog on a mommy site because I'm always loking mommies who are going through the same day-to-day riffraff I am with my (almost) 3 year old daughter. Anyway, I have extremely oily hair and skin (although, thanks to my Mary Kay business and the products I use, my skin is 100 times better than it used to be) and I saw in your post that you use coconut oil from mid-shaft down once a week and let it stay for an hour. Is that at night, after you've washed it, or is that on one-day-old hair..? I have the worst hair and have never been able to be one of those ladies, like yourself, whose hair is always down and looks really clean and shiny. No matter what I do, it's always a tad frizzy if I leave it down and I know nothing about styling. I have a blow dryer, a straightner, a curling iron, and hair spray. I am so low maintenance, it's pathetic. I get my brows waxed every 2 weeks, if that. This is about the only thing I do for myself. Regarding my hair, it's almost always in a ponytail because IDK what to do.

Kelsey Almond said...

Hi Melissa! I do this before I wash it so it would be day old hair because I wash my hair every night! Your hair looks pretty in your profile pic so you must be doing something right! :)