Thursday, February 6, 2014

Get Fit 2014: Get The Most Out of Your Workout

So I have a confession.  You know that annoying girl at the gym that looks like she spends more time getting ready for the gym than actually working out?  The one that walks in with perfect makeup, huge hoop earrings and blinged out Victoria's Secret Yoga Pants?  And that prances around the machines and dumbbells, instead of actually using them?  I was SO that girl way back when. Whoomp there it is. [In my best Fat Amy Voice]  If I had been 'me now', and ran into 'me then' I would totally smack myself in the face.  Not only because it's embarrassing, but because I wasted so much time that I could've been getting in a good workout worrying about the way I looked.  In my defense, I was 16 so all questionable actions can be excused because I was 16.  And here's the thing...my body didn't change one bit.  I was wasting time with no results, and that's annoying.  The only good thing that came of my teenage obsession with the gym, is my dedication.  Because whether or not I was actually accomplishing anything...I was still in the gym which is a great first step.  A first step that lasted me about ehhh 2 years.

So anyway, there's that.  Whew, glad to have that off of my chest.

And my point is...ain't nobody got time for that.

As an adult with a full time job, a child, a husband who works wack shifts, and a house that won't clean itself...I've learned that time is valuable. Especially my gym time.  So when I finally pull myself from the 436753 other things I should be doing and drag my butt to the gym every day, I want to get the most out of my workout. 

Here's how I do it and you can too:

1.  Leave the cell phone in the car.  Unless you use it as an iPod, it's a distraction.  Picking it up for two minutes at a time to check it every 10 minutes during an hour workout adds up.  You could've thrown in 3 or 4 sets of another exercise with those minutes you used to check Instagram or ended up texting!
2.  Check your form.  If you're a workout newbie, get with a trainer and make sure you are using correct form for each exercise.  I can't tell you the number of times I've walked by someone backwards on a machine, or getting sloppy with their shoulder presses...as if it's some kind of race.  Bad form, bad results.  And on top of that, you could seriously hurt yourself. 
3.  Don't cheat yourself.  Make your reps count.  If you aren't doing full reps, you aren't getting the full benefit of your workout.  Give yourself some credit and allow yourself to reach your full potential, your best you... and push yourself.  Half reps might as well be no reps. Really.
4.  Solo or partner- you choose what's right for you.  If you know for a fact you won't push yourself, hire a trainer or take a motivating friend to the gym with you.  But for me, that does not work.  I am the worst workout partner ever.  The few times I've worked out in a group it has slowed me down, or either I ended up talking more than training.  I'm a solo girl!
5.  Mentally Prepare.  And by that I mean, get in your zone.  If you need to flip through a shape magazine or head over to pinterest and search for fitspiration to get fired up for you workout DO IT.  Envision your goals, and convince yourself that you can achieve them.  Then go in the gym and get to work.
6.  Fuel Up.  Do not go to the gym hungry.  You will be grumpy, tired, and you'll end up leaving before you even finish your workout.  You need to fuel your engine so you can go the distance. My favorite pre-workout snack is 1/2 c. cooked plain oatmeal mixed with cinnamon, banana & a tablespoon of peanut butter.  So good!
7.  Take your own water bottle.  Running to the water fountain after every set wastes time.  If you have your water with you, you can drink it while you walk to the next exercise!
8.  Find a time that works best for you.  If you aren't a morning person, do yourself a favor and work out in the evening.  If you are an early riser and you know you will be wiped out after work, workout in the morning!  Pick the time of day that you have the most energy and you will get the most out of your workout!
9.  Create a bangin' playlist.  You know which music puts you into your 'go hard' zone.  Download it and rock out while you sweat it out. Yesss.
10. Enjoy it.  Everything in life is what you make it.  Make working out fun.  Change up your workouts so they don't get boring.  Be thankful that God has blessed you with an able body, and take care of it. Get excited and get fit! Mmmk?


3 comments:

Amy Kruszec said...

I come to your blog for some of my fitspiration, LOL! But seriously though your tips are great and the healthy eats you have blogged about I have incorporated some of them into my diet which is officially gluten-free now for going on 3 weeks! I changed my diet once I read that gluten can definitely affect my already low thyroid so I cut it our entirely which has helped me get a great start on clean eating and I feel so much better! I have more energy and I have been working out at home with my kettle bells:) By the way, one snack you posted I am totally addicted to now : peanut butter/nutella and milk....heaven! I found a delish all natural peanut butter and it is such a great snack especially if I am having a craving for something sweet! Win! Keep blogging, I definitely look forward to it! Thanks- Amy

Kelsey Almond said...

Amy I love your comments! Thank you so much for actually reading and enjoying my blog. ;) I know so many people that have gone gluten-free & it has changed their lives! So happy for you! Yeah the peanut butter & nutella mix is the best fix for a sweet tooth, but I have to limit myself to one tablespoon or I could sit down and eat the whole jar of both! Have you ever tried PB2? So good!

stpauligirl said...

I just found your blog while doing a search for mommy blogs. I enjoy the gym now that I have incorporated strength training and limit my cardio to just a couple 20 min sessions a few times a week with HIIT. But while I never wore earrings and makeup to gym, I was that girl who would pretty much just stick to the elliptical machines, save for a few half hearted reps on the weight machines (never free weights and god forbid I even accidentally glanced at a barbell). I *know* I once uttered the phrase, 'I don't want to lift weights because I don't want to get bulky'. It still embarrasses me, and I also want to smack 20 year old me for wasting all that time in the gym doing ineffective stuff back when I actually had time to waste. Oh well, experience is the comb life hands us after we're bald, right?