Monday, February 17, 2014

Weekend Recap: Snowed In & Screamed Out

This past week has been cray cray at the Almond casa.  So let me just give you the short version of it if that's even possible.

Wednesday I left work when it started snowing.  By the time I had driven 3 minutes it was like really snowing.  Where I live, 1 inch of snow is a huge deal and the weather was calling for 14 inches between Wednesday and Thursday.  I don't know why I waited until it started to leave work.  I guess because I totally thought I had outsmarted this storm by driving my husband's big 4WD truck, so I was just chunking along through the mess like nobodies business because I was wheelin' the Avalanche and I was bad.  Well by the time I rounded the turn to the back road that we live on the ground was covered and our truck literally started fish tailing like crazy and almost completely spun around in the road.  I had no control of my vehicle, my little girl was in the back seat sleeping and my heart fell to my feet.  I screamed like a little girl until it finally straightened up perfectly so I could turn right onto our road.  Thank you Lord!  We were fine, the truck was fine,  and Kollyns was still snoring in her car seat.  The only thing that got hurt was my pride when I realized I hadn't even put the truck into 4 wheel drive to start with.  I swear I'm smarter than that, but you know sometimes even the best of us have brain farts.

Wednesday night my poor husband had to drive to work in the blizzard, but Kollyns and I were snowed in and stayed glued to the news like 2 little old ladies, because for some reason it never gets old watching the weatherman tell us 15 times in a row that we are going to be snowed in tomorrow.  I threw a bowl outside and within 30 minutes it was full and we whipped up some 'snow cream' and followed that with a little bit of yoga in the playroom since we couldn't make it to the gym.  It was perfectly boring and fun at the same time, just like we like it.


Thursday we were completely snowed in so I slept until 10!  That never ever happens, but it did feel nice knowing I couldn't go anywhere.  We played in the snow for about 15 minutes because that's how long it took for our clothes to get wet since I don't waste money on snow frocks for the one snow we might get each year.  It was fun while it lasted, and I'm glad it didn't last long because I'm more of a snow watcher than a snow player... and Kollyns seems to feel the same way.  I'm boring, okay?  I know this.

We came in and made old fashioned hot chocolate.  Like with milk, cocoa, salt, sugar and boiled it on the stove.  I couldn't help but feel like the best mom ever when I saw Kollyns' face light up with excitement as she tasted it.  I can't lie, it was delish.  Super mom status.

Husband then left for work and informed me that he was too late to swing by and feed his hunting dog.  He was gone before I realized that we couldn't make it down that hill in the truck because I had no earthly idea where the driveway was and didn't want to destroy the yard.  I only had one option, I had to walk.  I made it there and back, but almost passed out from exhaustion because I had a 40lb bag of Gravy Train slung over my shoulder and walking in a foot of snow is not ideal.  Ehhh, don't put me down for cardio on Thursday...because my trek to the dog lot was it for the day son.  I was officially over the snow at this point.  And Kollyns had started getting really really whiney.
 
We went to sleep at 11 pm,  and at 12am Kollyns sat straight up in the bed and began screaming in pain.  I'm not talking a crying screaming. I'm talking horror movie screaming.  Scaring the sheeet out of me because I did not know what was wrong, and Devin was at work.  It took me about 10 minutes to get her to finally tell me what was hurting.  It was her ears, both ears.  Nothing I tried helped her.  Not Motrin, not warm compresses on both ears, not any amount of cuddles or rubbing her back and hair, not pacing the floors while holding her, NOTHING.  I have never seen her in this much pain and it ripped my heart out.  I was crying with her and praying that the doctor's office would be open in the morning.  Then I became totally pissed at myself for weaning her from breastfeeding back in November because I swear that has kept her perfectly healthy until now.  I would have breastfed her for life if I knew it would keep the pain she was feeling Thursday night from happening ever again.       

Her pediatrician slid us in for an appointment at 10:00am Friday, but the ride up there was a frickin' nightmare.  She was in so much pain she was screaming at the top of her lungs and physically trying to hurt herself and claw her face and pull her ears off.  I was holding her hand and crying as I was driving and I thought she was going to rip my fingers off but I was willing to sacrifice my hand if it kept her from hurting herself.  It was a complete crap show.  We finally got there and of course she had very bad infections in both ears.  I picked up her medicine and got it in her as quick as I could.  The medicine and my non stop praying must have worked because after that she slept for 3 straight hours and woke up feeling less pain and in a much better mood. 

Friday night, she slept straight through...and I don't even remember going to sleep I was so exhausted.  Saturday was spent playing and cuddling, and being so thankful that she was feeling herself again.  And by Sunday, she was up to her old tricks....squeezing herself into doll houses & such.

What a week.   There were fun parts, scary parts, 'heart at my feet' parts, and there were parts I thought I might break down completely.  But it's life, and it's what being a mom is about.  It's not always easy, but it's the most rewarding thing I've ever experienced.  This week really put things in perspective for me even though it was just an ear infection. And I know in the big scheme of things none of these events I've rambled about are really a big deal.  But little things like this remind me of how blessed we are that we have a healthy child and that we get to share this life with her.  Even the bad weeks are good, because I'm just so incredibly thankful to be her mommy and I wouldn't trade a single night of pacing the floors while she screams or a crazy car ride to the doctor's office for anything in this whole world. 

And I'm sorry, this post was in no way a short version of my week like I had intended.  Lucky you.

Oh & did I mention ear infections suck?

10 comments:

Tamara @ The Workout Mama said...

That stinks! I can't imagine having to drive in snow to the doctor with my hurting baby! Glad she is better and that you are both more rested!

sara said...

Oh wow -- I'm so glad your cutie pie daughter is feeling better. I can't imagine how hard that must have been to hear her in such pain :( Also, that spin in the truck sounds awful... Poor thing! On a lighter note, I'm now thinking I'll have to whip up some old fashioned hot chocolate on the stove -- that sounds SO yummy :)

Shana said...

Poor Kollyns! Glad she is feeling better. I think if Danny had left during that snowstorm without feeding his hunting dogs, they would have just had to wait until he got home -- you sure are a good wife!

Megan said...

I'm surprised we didn't cross paths at Hopkins on Friday. Alexi and Hailey both had croup and just finished 3 days of steroids, which made both of them moodier than PMSing teenagers! LOL I'm glad Kollyns feels better! PS - I'm feeling quite stylish because Alexi has the same black and white stripe shirt with hearts :)

Kelsey Almond said...

Thanks Tamara, me too! No fun having a sick baby, breaks my heart! :(

Kelsey Almond said...

Thank you! Yes it was an eventful week to say the least! ;) You won't regret the hot chocolate, it is so good! I used the recipe on the Hershey's website! Very easy!

Kelsey Almond said...

Haha, don't worry he heard about it later! Next time, Copper will have to wait for his Gravy Train until daddy gets home. I learned my lesson. :)

Kelsey Almond said...

Oh no! Your poor babies, my brother used to get croup all the time...that stuff stinks. I wish we had ran into you because I miss y'all! I'm sure you have had your hands full with toddlers on roids, yikes! I hope they feel better soon! Yes, I love that shirt! Tarjay is my fave! ;)

Hillary Quinn said...

Yay glad you got some snow ;) You know how much we love it over here. Except, we're on storm #30 I think.. it's getting a little out of hand. Oh no, thankfully Kollyns is feeling better. That sounds so terrible for both of you. Talk about ripping your heart out!

Kelsey Almond said...

Wow! That is a lot of snow! I'm so over it after just one storm, so I can't imagine several of them! Yes, I'm so happy she's better too. I think it hurts me more than it hurts her when she is sick. :/