Thursday, March 6, 2014

Our Journey Home: Land & A Plan

It's kind of a big deal choosing the place you want to build a home.  And it's an even bigger deal choosing the exact plan that's perfect for you and your family.  I began looking through house plans the year after we moved into our first home because I knew it was our starter home and eventually we wanted to build.  I never thought we would ever get the nerve to sell it, because our lives were so 'financially sound' while we were living there.  We comfortably afforded our mortgage and also had nice cars, a steadily growing savings cushion, and spending money too.  Our house was nice, and I was completely content there in every aspect of the word.  I took pride in my home. After all, it is my favorite place in the world to be.  It may have been small, but I was proud of it.  I kept it sparkly clean and actually enjoyed cleaning it because it was ours, we had worked hard for it and fixed it up and it meant a lot to me.  Leaving it was a huge step, I mean it was more like a leap over the friggin' grand canyon.  We are now stepping into the unknown.  We are stepping out of our comfort zone and diving into a situation that will be quite a bit more financially strapping which kinda scares the crap out of me.  But thankfully I have a strange addiction to saving money and budgeting, so I know we will be just fine.  Still scary, nonetheless. 

(Let me just apologize for preluding all of these posts with my endless thought process, I really can't help myself.  If you want to get to the goods just scroll right on past the first page-length paragraph next time.)

Choosing land was quite a task for us.  My husband is a country boy.  I'm a country club girl.  See where I'm going with this?  He has lived by the river all of his life and spent his days growing up fishing and shooting his guns, riding 4-wheelers and hunting.  I've lived by the golf course all of my life.  My extracurricular activities didn't look anything like his if you know what I mean.  I enjoy doing those things with him now, but I couldn't see myself stuck in a house on a back road in the middle of nowhere for the rest of my life.  Reason number one for that is because Kollyns hated riding in the car from month 8-month 18.  If we have another kid, I cannot imagine enduring a 25 minute car ride every time I wanted to enter back into civilization with a screaming baby in the backseat.  Just saying. 

So we compromised, kind of.  We bought 3.2 acres 1 mile past the country club.  But it has a country feel, and we have a pond in our back yard.  Raise your hand if you think that's fair?  I just knew you would agree with me.  Thank you, I love you too. 

So here it is if you don't remember...at the sickening price of $43,000 (gasp).  Yep, made me sick.  For a 3 acre piece of grass and a pond.  I had no idea land was so outrageous.  But I must say, it's very pretty and I'm over the top happy about where our house will sit...and the fact that the land falls perfectly for a full walkout basement.  Now my husband can finish that and I will have somewhere to send him when he's a bad boy.  We both win.

And after beating our heads against the wall and scrolling through 18,000 house plans.  We finally found one we both agreed on.  Frank Betz is my fave, and I found this jewel on the very last page (out of 100+ pages) of house plans that fit my search criteria.  We spoke with contractors before choosing a plan so we would have some sort of idea of a price per sqft.  We knew we couldn't afford more than a 2300 sqft home, because we want all super nice things inside and hardwood flooring throughout.  This one comes in at 2286 total on the main floors (1544 first floor & 742 second floor), with a full finished basement eventually which will add 1500 more sqft.  One step at a time though, the basement will most likely be a never ending ongoing project for the husband.
 
The two front gables that are bricked in the photo will be stacked rock on our home and the center panel between the two large windows will be taken out and that will also be rocked.  The base of the house will be brick and the rest will be siding.  The colors I choose will be a surprise, to you and me both...so stay tuned.  I can assure you they will be neutral and not gray because my last house was gray and I'm tired of gray, okay?  Okay.
 
 

We love this home because the floor plan is extremely open and the main rooms are only separated by columns.  We will be using white round 10inch columns throughout so they will be nice and chunky which I love.  The knee wall between the breakfast nook and living room will not exist in my house.  That's just something else I would trip over, so no.  And the kitchen island will be turned 90 degrees and centered so it will function as a serving bar. 
 

And for the newbies, house plans will run you about $1000, so budget for that as well.  And plans that include a basement like ours, will be even more than that. 

I already love our new home and they haven't even poured the basement yet.  It's just a hole in the ground, but it's our hole in the ground and I love it.  I can't wait to watch the walls go up!

This is Where We Started
This post:  Land & a Plan
Choosing a builder and getting cost estimates.

1 comment:

Laurie Kunz said...

Hi there ! I really like your blog, keep up the good work =D

If you want, you can check out my fashion and fitness blog and if you like it, maybe we could follow each other ? http://lorallure.blogspot.com

Hope you'll say yes,

Love
-Laurie