Friday, April 11, 2014

Get Fit 2014: My Five Favorite Butt Shaping Exercises


I haven't been blogging much about fitness lately!  Which is strange because I'm still the same fitness freak I've always been.  So I'm due for one of these.

Some days, for whatever reason...you just can't make it to the gym.  I get it.  It happens to the best of us. :)  But that doesn't change the fact that bikini season is right around the corner.

Here's my favorite workout secret...  You don't need a gym to get a great workout.  Only a pair of 15lb dumbbells or 10 or 5...whichever you prefer.

I kind of have a love affair with dumbbells.  I adore them.  I feel like dumbbell centered workouts are far more effective than machines because they allow you to complete a full range of motion with your exercises.  They don't restrict you, and they don't assist you.  It's you and the weights, and how productive your motions and exercises are is determined by you and you alone.  Which also means you have to be extremely careful.  Respect the dumbbells and make sure you are using correct form.

I'm also a butt fanatic.  If I were a dude, I would be a butt guy.  Is that weird?  I don't think so.  I think it's because I've always had to work really really hard on my lower body to give it shape because it's just not in my genetic code to have a super athletic body, I was born a string bean.  I'm okay with that, and if you have a genetically blessed bootay and don't have to work for it...you don't even know how lucky you are.  And thanks to years of heavy squats, lotsa squats... I finally have decent glutes.

So without further ado I present to you my all time favorite glute/hamstring exercises that I do several sets of twice a week!

Dumbbell Squat  Stand with feet hip width apart and hold dumbbells by your sides.  Slowly bend your knees as if you are sitting in a chair (not allowing your knees to extend beyond your toes).  Squat as low as you can, keeping your chin and head lifted and your back straight.  Do not round your back. 

Bulgarian Split Squat Hold dumbbells at arms length.  Stand in a staggered stance with your front foot 2-3 feet in front of your back foot, and put the instep of your back foot on a flat bench or sturdy core.  Brace your core and squat down.  Switch sides and repeat.

Plyometric Split Jump Get in a normal lunge position with one leg forward and knee bent 90 degrees.  Jump up and land with your legs and feet in the exact opposite position.  My incredibly awkward and annoying video of this exercise can be found here

Romanian Deadlifts Stand upright with feet shoulder width apart holding dumbbells to the front, knees slightly bent.  Keeping your arms straight and knees at a slight bend, slowly bend at your hip joint (NOT YOUR WAIST) and lower the weights as far as possible without rounding your back which should remain straight.  Slowly pull yourself up using your glutes (not your back).

Dumbbell Donkey Kicks Start on all fours and place a weight in the crease of your right bent knee.  Keeping your knee bent at a 90 degree angle lift your right leg, flex your foot & pulse your foot toward the ceiling by squeezing your glute.  Switch legs and repeat.

There you have it!  If you have any questions about these exercises, email me or google the name and you should come up with some sort of photo/video demonstration.

If you have never worked out, or do not feel comfortable or familiar with proper form please refrain from these exercises until you consult a personal trainer! 

I am not a personal trainer, nor do I claim to be.  I'm just a fitness lover and long time gym rat sharing some of my favorites! 

Happy Friday! :) 


No comments: