Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Time Marches On...

Okay, I can't even deal.  Devin and I just sent our little girl off to her first day of preschool.  I woke up at 6 this morning and made her favorite breakfast, cinnamon rolls.  I'm pretty sure the icing that was smeared across each one was a little salty, because the tears just would not stop falling.  I didn't let her see me cry because I knew it would break her heart... so I was sure to shed all of them before daylight came creeping in through the windows.
 
I know. I'm not the first mom to ever send her kid to preschool. 
But it feels like it okay?  So just let me cry.
 
I started waking her up at 7:30 with lots of snuggles and a little Max & Ruby on TV. 
 
By 7:50 I had to pull her out of bed and make her get dressed.  Because my kid likes to sleep y'all.  But once she was dressed and looking spiffy, she was in much better spirits and so ready to go to preschool and meet new friends. 
 
We took a few okay, a thousand pictures before we headed to school and I cried a little more hiding behind the lens.  Doesn't she look so grown up?  Boohoohoo. :(
 
 
I learned that she wants to be a Mermaid when she grows up.
And that she's sad about leaving Mom, but only because she thinks I'll be sad...not because she's actually sad about it.
That was made clear when she jumped right out of the car and yelled "Bye Mom, Bye Dad!" never looking back.
I think my heart broke a little, but at the same time it smiled because this was much easier than I thought it would be for her. 
 
I asked her a few questions on the way just for fun...
 
What's your favorite color?:  PINK!
What's your favorite food?:  Chicken Nuggets!
What's your favorite thing to play with:  Mermaids!
(By the way she doesn't have a single mermaid toy, but that is her Halloween costume request...hence the sudden obsession.)
Your favorite place?  School!
(What?)
What's your favorite snack?  Cinnamon Rolls!
(She was eating those at the time, ha!)
 
Who's ready for school?
 

She looks way more thrilled than Mom & Dad, don't you think?
 
She laid a big kiss on dad.  Forever her daddy's girl.

 
A few kisses and a 10 minute car ride later...she was on her way.
 
I don't care what anyone says...it's hard letting her go.  Even to preschool just two days a week.  Letting her explore life and learn new things without mom or dad right beside her to guide her.
 
Thankfully,  I adore her teachers because they taught me when I was little and I have the sweetest memories of my time in preschool.  So that cushioned the blow a little bit.
 
I saw this poem on Pinterest and then I cried for like ten minutes...
 
First Day of School
 Wendy Silva
 
I wonder what you're doing right now,
And if everyone is treating you kind.
I hope there is a special person,
A nice friend that you can find.
 
I wonder if the teacher knows
Just how special you are to me.
And if the brightness of your heart,
Is something she can see.
 
I wonder if you are thinking about me,
And if you need a hug.
I already miss the sound of your voice,
And how you give my leg a tug.
 
I wonder if you could possibly understand,
How hard it is for me to let you grow.
On this day know that my heart breaks,
For this is the first step in letting my baby go.
 
Okay now I'm going to cry again.  And count down the minutes until I get to pick Kollyns up and hear all about her fun day!
 
Kollyns River,  we love you so much.  You are the funniest, sweetest, smartest most beautiful girl in the whole wide world.  You fill our lives with happiness and laughter.  You love a good cuddle and digging in mommy's makeup.  And you would ride the four-wheeler all day if we would let you.  You have a huge heart and you can't stand to see anyone upset.  You love to dress yourself and wear my shoes.  And you love pretending like our dog FinLee is your real-life doll baby and pushing him in the stroller.  You love all animals and your favorite place to go is the River!  I can't imagine our lives without your sweet little spirit and kisses. Mommy is so proud of you!
 
Happy tears, happy tears.  I think.

6 comments:

Brittany Barney said...

Being a Mom is so hard on your heart sometimes! I was fine all day...until I read that poem...lol! I'm so glad Taegan and Kollyns will get to become friends, play, and learn together this year! She is precious!

Kelsey Almond said...

Girl, I know! Today was a little rough! But it's a lot easier knowing she has loving and sweet teachers! ;) The poem got me too, I have cried and cried reading it! I'm so excited for Taegan and Kollyns to become friends, I know they will have so much fun together! :))

Ashley said...

Those pictures, how sweet!! I love that poem, I had to share it with a friend whose babies are in Grade 1 and Kindergarten this year. Hope her day was great!

Emily Osborne said...

You go ahead and cry, girl! I balled like a little baby when I dropped Drey off for his first day. And look how sassy she is! Love it :-)
Oh, and I skipped your poem... I know it will make me cry & I'm not in the mood, mmmkay?! Forgive me? Ha

Kelsey Almond said...

Aw thank you! It is such a sweet poem isn't it?! She had a great day and loved it so much that she cried because she didn't want to leave school!!! ;)

Kelsey Almond said...

Yes ma'am she is SUCH a little prisspot! How dare you skip that poem?! It's only fair if all of my friends are crying with me...that's why I posted it!!! ;) I forgive you though, because I mean how could I not? You're in freakin' Japan and I don't want to lose my front row seat to your life there!!! :))